Three Routines We're Obsessed With
There’s no denying that a cold snap can cause, dry, flaky skin – and for those in the Southern Hemisphere (yes, that's us), it looks as though those summer rays aren't heading our way anytime soon.
Whether your being blasted by freezing winds, or dried out by heaters – our skin endures a lot during the winter months.
If you’ve let your skin go too far this winter (and hidden it under multiple layers of clothes) – it’s not too late to give it the nourishment it needs.
Here are our teams top three DIY skin-care regimes to help protect your skin and banish those winter blues.
1. Clay Mask
Don't have the time to get a facial? This DIY Face Mask will help to cleanse and nourish the skin.
- 2 teaspoons bentonite clay
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 drop Frankincense essential oil
- 1 drop Lavender essential oil
- 1 drop Tea Tree essential oil
Note: Bentonite clay can be purchased at your local health food store. Do not use a metal bowl or spoon with bentonite clay as it can make it less effective.
- Combine clay and vinegar in a bowl and stir until well combined.
- Tip: For a thicker mask, add an additional ½ teaspoon of clay.
- Add essential oils
- Apply to clean skin, avoiding the areas around eyes and mouth.
- Let dry for 5–15 minutes
- Rinse with warm water and follow with moisturizer.
2. Moisturising Lotion Bars
Indulge in these natural moisturising lotion bars that will help nourish and soothe dry skin.
- ⅔ cup beeswax
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup cocoa butter
- 1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil
- 15 drops of either Citrus Bliss, Peppermint or Lavender essential oils
- Measure all ingredients, except for essential oils, in a large glass jar.
- Place jar in a saucepan half the jar covered in boiling water
- Stir ingredients until combined
- Once melted, remove from heat. Let rest three minutes.
- Add essential oils and stir
- Pour mixture into a silicone mold.
- Tip: For an exfoliating lotion bar, add oatmeal to the bottom of the mold.
- Let mixture harden two to three hours. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in container until ready to use.
- Massage lotion bar on the skin for moisture.
3. Facial Serum
Slow down the look of aging with this Facial Serum
- 2 Tbsp of Carrier Oil (Fractionated Coconut Oil)
- 2 drops Geranium essential oil
- 2 drops Lavender essential oil
- 2 drops Sandalwood essential oil
- 2 drops Rose essential oil,
- 2 drops Helichrysum essential oil
- 2 drops Frankincense essential oil.
- Pour 2 Tbsp. of a Carrier Oil of preference into a dark 30 ml dropper bottle
- Pour oils, one by one into glass bottle - as each essential oil is added, gently shake the bottle to thoroughly incorporate it.
- Cleanse and tone the face before massaging 2 drops of the serum into the face, focusing more on areas with fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots.
- When the serum has absorbed into the skin, moisturise with your preferred cream
- When the serum is not in use, store it in a cool and dark area.